It's no secret. My children have an addiction. To clementine oranges. I swear they put a little cocaine in those things and wham! Baby crack! We buy them by the box, 25 to 30 clementines a piece, and a box lasts us two or three days. I knew it was bad, but I didn't realize how bad it was
until I caught the boys on a binge. I had given them each one clementine at the table for a snack yesterday afternoon. Caleb finished his first and wandered into the living room where we sat down together to look at his president cards. I left Matthew at the table to finish eating his clementine. Caleb and I were apparently deep in thought and didn't notice how much time had passed, or how quiet it was at the dining room table. When you are raising twin toddlers, there are two things that will scare you the most- uncontrollable laughter and silence. But mostly the silence! Why was Matthew so quiet? Because he had gotten up on the counter, dumped the box of clementines,
and was taking them, one at a time, back to the table to devour as quickly as his little fingers could peel them. By the time I got up and realized what he was doing, he had eaten at least five! Caleb quickly ran to the pile of oranges on the kitchen floor and proceeded to help himself as well. When all was said and done, the remains of the clementines were scattered far and wide- they covered the table and spattered the kitchen, dining room, and living room floors. Investigators confirmed that there were at least eight victims! Although I imagine there are far worse things they could be doing when I'm not paying attention, I am beginning to think that we're going to need a lengthy stay at a clementine addiction rehabilitation facility!
No comments:
Post a Comment