HomePreSchool

Caleb and Matthew

Caleb and Matthew

Monday, May 20, 2013

Relay for Life

This weekend we joined Jon and his leadership students at the Clarkston Relay for Life.  This was Jon's sixth year leading a team of students as they raised money for cancer research.  In years past I have brought the boys up for a few hours in the afternoon and then brought them back home while Jon stayed overnight to chaperone is 50 or 60 eighth and ninth grade students as they walked through the night. (Yes- he's crazy!)  This year we decided the boys were old enough to stay the night.  Jon's kids put on a carnival in an effort to bring young families to the event and once again the boys had a blast playing the games and running themselves ragged before spending a little time by the campfire then crashing for the night in our tent.  They had a total blast.  I'm actually considering sending them to eighth grade for the rest of the school year.  I'm sure they'll do just fine, and I could really use the break!

Since Jon's students were more than happy to entertain the boys for most of the day, I was able to step back, relax, and look around.  As the day went on, I saw more than just a community coming together to eradicate cancer (and what an amazing site that is to see).  I got to see Jon in his element- making a difference in the lives of his students.  I got to see him guide them through their failures and reflect on and celebrate their successes.  I got to see the amazing things a group of eighth and ninth grade students could accomplish with his support.  I got to see his students from years past- many now in college- return to tell him what a difference he made in their lives.  I got to see him show his students what it means to be a father, a man.   And I felt hopeful.  Seeing a group of such wonderful students reminded me that there are good people in the world- that we are not alone in trying to raise our boys to be respectful, motivated people who want to make the world a better place.  Between the news and the ridiculousness I see every day at the store, the park, etc., it is sometimes hard to have faith in the human race.  But this weekend I had hope and faith- and the boys had a wonderfully good time!!!

The boys dressed up in their Superman/Clark Kent costume for the Super Hero lap- They raised $55 in 10 minutes and won the best costume award for daddy's team!

 
The boys raising money on their Super Hero lap!


Obstacle course at daddy's carnival


Whee!


Racing the big kids!!


Angry Birds


Campfire with the big kids


First night camping out :)


No comments:

Post a Comment