HomePreSchool

Caleb and Matthew

Caleb and Matthew

Thursday, June 26, 2014

California Remix- Day 10

Well, we all survived our first day of Daddy going to work!  Even though his students don't start until Monday, Jon had staff development today and again tomorrow. He has to go in this Saturday to help with registration, then his kids start on Monday for three weeks of class.  It's a pretty exciting opportunity- for all of us really.  Jon is teaching for a gifted education program through Johns Hopkins University called Center for Talented Youth.  It is actually a K-12 program run through the university that is offered for highly, exceptionally and profoundly gifted students across the country.  They run an online program that some students use to supplement or replace classes in a brick and mortar school while others use it as the backbone of a homeschool program.  In the summer, they offer a variety of classes at various sites across the country.  In a three week session, each class covers an entire semester's worth of material.  It is an incredible opportunity for Jon to teaching wise- as there are only two such programs in the country and he teaching for an incredible university and working with the best and brightest students from across the country.  It is also a great opportunity for us to get involved with the CTY program for the boys.  They have tested into the program and while they are two years shy of being able to participate in the summer courses, we are considering starting their math curriculum through CTY this fall.  If Jon enjoys the program- and if they enjoy him- hopefully it will open up more possibilities for us to travel each summer and soon the boys can join in the summer sessions.  I'm going to be completely honest here- I am totally enthralled with the thought of ending up back here in LA in two summers while Jon AND the boys are in school full time for three weeks!!!  Ooooooh the things I would do!!!!  First, I would sleep in.  Actually, I wouldn't, because after five years of never once sleeping in I think my body has completely forgotten how.  But I would roll around in bed and not get up until I felt like it.  Then, I would slowly saunter to the nearest Starbucks and have a cup of coffee.  Or two.  Or three.  Because why the hell not?!  Then, I would meander my way to the beach and sit there peacefully for the entirety of the day.  I would leave just in time to grab something for dinner on the way home- because I'm sure as heck not going to ruin a perfectly relaxing day with having to make dinner myself!  It sounds like Heaven to me.  Three weeks- fifteen days- all to myself.  Dear husband of mine- you had better knock this gig out of the park.  I've got a lot riding on the future of this partnership!!!

Anyways- With Jon starting work today, the boys and I were on our own!  We took one day to rest and regroup after all of our gallivanting around over the last week.  We played a lot of Legos, I got a lot of cleaning and laundry done, and we did a little bit of school work and some painting.  It was relaxing to have a down day- even the boys needed it.  But by the time Jon got home we were ready to get out of the apartment!  We had dinner on the table so we could eat and run as soon as daddy got home.  We headed over to Griffith Park to let the boys play on one of their favorite playgrounds, then we went up to the Observatory to watch the sun set.  We have been to the Observatory a number of times- but never at night.  Incredible!  The boys got to see Saturn through the telescopes, and they managed to stump three staff members with their questions inside.  A young couple actually stumbled backwards when they overheard Caleb walk up to a guide and say "Excuse me Mister, but how hot was the Big Bang?!" and then proceed to stand there for five minutes while the guy mustered up his best explanation of why he had no idea!   The boys have been curious about the Big Bang recently and I am certainly not the one to answer their questions...  so I was happy to be in a place where they could ask someone who was actually interested in trying to explain the Big Bang to a couple of four year olds.  I think the guides quite enjoyed the boys actually.  And I quite enjoyed the break, as I can't even pretend to understand anything they ask!  By the time we left (9:00pm), we got to see the most incredible view of the city- I can't believe we had never been up there at night!  We will definitely be going back soon!

 
The boys look so tiny!


Jon explaining one of the exhibits on the Big Bang- it actually did a decent job of helping the boys visualize the time line between then and now.  As for me- it just hurt my head!


Moon rock!


My little Einsteins


The boys loved jumping up and down and watching the seismometer record the movement. They are hoping to get to feel an earthquake while we are here.  Mommy is hoping it is just a very tiny one!

No comments:

Post a Comment