But as much as I love breathing in the sugary steam while sitting next to our loved ones, watching all the kids ride lap after lap on their bikes only to come running in when its marshmallow time- I think the thing I've loved the most about our sugaring season is watching the boys help daddy every step of the way. They've helped chop down trees and split fire wood. They've tapped the trees, hung the sap buckets, and emptied the sap buckets- sometimes directly into their sweet little mouths! They've hauled firewood into the sugar shack, poured sap into the pans, sat under the sugary blanket of steam keeping warm by the fire, and tasted their syrup every step of the way. And now a days, with the lure of all the fancy technology and dozens of different kinds of screens that kids are so fond of sitting in front of for hours at a time, I can help but love, love, love watching my own boys outside getting their hands dirty while working the land they live on. It makes my heart smile to sit back and watch them following in their daddy's footsteps- literally and figuratively- and loving it every step of the way!
Whole family in the sugar shack- even Rigby!
Matthew helping split some wood for the fire
Caleb carrying wood to the fire
Daddy pouring sap
The boys helping empty sap buckets
Matthew stealing a sip
Yup- that's the kind of help you get from 3 year olds :)
No comments:
Post a Comment