The boys had a few Barnes and Noble gift cards from their birthday so today after lunch we headed over there to do some shopping. Highest on their list was a book about the London Tower Bridge. So as any newly four year old would do, they marched their little selves right up to the customer service counter, stretched up as high as they could on tiny tip toes and politely asked, "Excuse me, do you have any books on the London Bridge?" The man was a bit caught off guard. After a thorough search, he replied that he did not have any books on the London Bridge but kindly led us over to the architecture section so we could browse through books in search of other bridges. No luck. Instead the boys wanted to look at the architecture Lego sets. You know, the ones that cost upwards of $200 a piece and allow you to build famous landmarks from the world over. The Sydney Oprah House sparked their interest, but there were no bridges. Until they found a 3-D puzzle of none other than the London Tower Bridge. 216 pieces worth. It said ages 12-99. We were none of those ages. Not yet anyways. After an incredibly long period of time exploring the puzzle, I managed to herd them into the kids section of the bookstore to play with the train table. In case you were wondering, ten children under the age of five being smothered by seven moms are all together too many people at one train table. I actually contemplated calling the Guinness Book of World Records- for a moment I thought we had something there! We stayed to play long enough for one of the moms to ask how old the boys were. Before I could answer, she continued with "I'm having a hard time guessing because they look like they are two but talk like they are ten!" I told her we could just about split the difference- they just turned 4. Her response? "Oh wow. That must be exhausting!" I wanted to hug her, I really did. I was seconds away from being the crazy lady in the book store who randomly hugged strangers. I'm not really crazy, I swear. It was just that this strange lady... understood. Yes, yes I said. It is exhausting! And thank you dear stranger for validating the bags under my eyes and Starbucks cup in my hand.
Eventually we wandered over to look at the Magic Tree House series where Matthew picked out the Vikings book and Caleb the pirate book. Not too sure about the appropriateness of the pirate book, I hemmed and hawed awhile- long enough to catch the attention of the woman working in the children's section. She asked if I needed any help so figured why the heck not and asked if she had read this particular installment. Of course she had not. When her colleague, whom the boys know lovingly as "Miss Andy" from story time, walked by, she asked Miss Andy if Miss Andy was familiar with the pirate book. Miss Andy was not familiar with it either though I know Miss Andy is somewhat familiar with my dilemma of finding books for the boys. While she was showing me a website to check on book reviews, Caleb shrieks out in excitement... "THE TITANIC! THE TITANIC MAMA!" Miss Andy laughed. "Oh, that's appropriate!" she said. I kindly told Caleb that we already have eighteen books on the Titanic at home and didn't need another one. Miss Andy and the other lady gave me a funny look. I gently tried to explain how difficult it is to indulge two four year olds' obsessive interest in the Titanic in a four year old appropriate way. Miss Andy tried to make me feel better. She said, "Well, at least they're not in love with the Lusitania!" Oh Miss Andy. I didn't have to say anything. Matthew stood up and excitedly shouted, "We DO love the Lusitania! It got hit by a German torpedo! BAM! I'm a German!" I softly reminded Matt that we don't torpedo people in public. Miss Andy had a short moment of hysterics, followed by an apology- "I'm sorry, but that was the best thing I've heard all day!" I smiled while scanning the area for the lady who recognized my exhaustion- if only she could see us now!
Two hours later (yes, we spend entire afternoons at the bookstore- its like a free museum), I finally gave in and let the boys pick the 216 piece 3D puzzle of the London Tower Bridge. They couldn't have been more excited had I just told them we were going to Disney World. They both insisted on carrying it through the store and to the counter which created a bit of a scene because its a pretty big box and while doing so they were also talking at the top of their little lungs about how all of the previous bridges before this current bridge met their demise. We made it out of the store but not without everyone in our path giving me an "Oh, how adorable!" smile. I wanted to invite each of them home with me so they could put the damn thing together with the "help" of two preschoolers. Which is what I have to go do right now... never a dull moment!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment