Luckily for me, the boys slept in until 9:15am. When they finally woke up, they made a bee-line for their new toys and plopped themselves down on the living room floor. I don't think they moved for an hour when I finally forced them to each breakfast after which they promptly returned to their spots and continued their play. They began constructing their narrative of our trip- recounting all that they had learned and creating each memory out of Duplo blocks. It was nothing short of amazing. There are so many times that it is much too easy to forget that they are only three years old. While we are slowly, very slowly, beginning to understand how their minds work- we are continually amazed each and every day when we get to see their little brains in action. I have come to view their Duplo blocks as windows into their brains. They use them to create whatever is going on in their minds and not a day goes by that they don't show me a multi-colored piece of evidence that amazing things are happening in there. They spent all day, literally all day, with their Duplos- minus about 45 minutes that they spent coloring pictures of the Saturn V. Later in the evening Grampy came over to visit and they explained all they knew about their favorite rocket, about their lunch with a real astronaut, and other tidbits of information that even Jon and I hadn't yet processed!
But as I previously stated, as sad as I get when such amazing adventures come to an end, I have to have faith that God has something else in store for us. And God never disappoints! While we had a layover in Chicago on our way home, we received a call that the boys were needed to help Ryan Gosling finish up the movie he is filming here in Detroit. We had all but moved on from the boys callback experience as when one project ends its time to let go and wait for the next- but it seemed as if they would get a chance to work with Ryan Gosling after all! So from outer space to Hollywood- we're sad to see our Houston adventure end but excited to see the next begin!
"Mama- this is the big building that the Saturn V is in!"
Then he opened the top and sure enough it was!
Sorry for the closed eyes- but this was Caleb's International Space Station. "It even has solar panels mama! These here are solar panels!"
Coloring page of the Saturn V. "This is the big screen where you do the countdown mama. And this is the Endeavor- it launched. It's orbiting already!"
No comments:
Post a Comment