HomePreSchool

Caleb and Matthew

Caleb and Matthew

Thursday, March 29, 2012

"I'm Pretendin' mama!"

Normally when the boys get stuck repeating the same phrase over and over and over and over, the way only 2 year olds can do, it drives me a bit nutty. We've had a "No, mama do it!" phase where they both screeched these words at the top of their little lungs (which really aren't so little!) whenever daddy tried to help them with anything. And a "Mama, Caleb's sayin' something" phase which Matthew repeated endlessly to tell us that his brother was annoying him (which happened to be every second of every moment of every hour of the day for days on end). And let's not forget the "I go outside now" or the "No I not nap!" :)

But lately its been an endless chorus of "I'm pretendin' mama!" and it is purely and simply music to my ears. The boys had an imagination explosion about two months ago and I think we're in the middle of another one! Their creativity and imagination are just limitless right now. It is truly amazing and I feel so blessed to be home with them all day where I can just sit back, sipping my coffee, and the magic unfold. It feels like the whole world is open to them, like they can do or be anything they want to be. I guess that is all a parent truly wants for their children... the world at their fingertips, theirs for the taking.

If I tell them we can't do something until daddy gets home, they reply "Mama, you pretend to be daddy!" If their favorite shirt is dirty and I put on another shirt, they say "I pretend this is my Rory McIlroy shirt!" (Meltdown averted!) We pretend to be Rory McIlroy and Rickie Fowler on a daily basis. Since we are no longer allowed to have real golf clubs in the house, we pretend that spoons, forks, straws, even bananas, are golf clubs. We have pretended that our blankets are snow and our books snowboards, our pillows are dirt and our storage bins are dump trucks. The boys bought little NYC Taxi cars when we were in the city this past weekend and all of a sudden our living room is Central Park, the hallway is 5th Avenue, and each and every one of the 4 chairs at the kitchen table have served as the Empire State Building at least once as they race around the city dropping their passengers off at their favorite NYC places. Stacking toys are are skateboarding friends, counting shapes are pancakes and sandwiches. Drum sticks are fishing poles, our Melissa and Doug dress up characters are fishermen (wearing football helmets!), and the entire bag of pretzels they managed to dump on the floor when I wasn't looking are fish. I wanted to be angry about the mess, but when your two year old tells you "Mama, I'm pretendin' its a large mouth bass!", it's hard to do anything but laugh. They then got in a fight about whether the pretzels were large mouth bass or walleye and when I teased that they looked like pretzels to me, they both shouted "I'm PRETENDING MAMA!"

Unfortunately, I wasn't quite as humored this afternoon when I discovered what the boys did instead of napping today! The zipper on Matthew's crib tent broke this morning, leaving him wild and free for naptime. Caleb has a "grumpy ear" and wasn't interested in sleeping either. After listening to Matthew run around for an hour and a half, I finally gave up on a nap for the day and went to get them out. "I was pretendin' it was snowin' mama!!!" he exclaimed, so proud of himself! Aye yai yai!


No comments:

Post a Comment