HomePreSchool

Caleb and Matthew

Caleb and Matthew

Friday, March 16, 2012

Precious Pictures

Olivia and Dominic, 10 days old
Yesterday I had the most amazing experience ever... one that opened my eyes to the inner workings of the world of photography while at the same time flooding my heart with memories of our boys as itsy bitsy tiny newborn babies. The boys' photographer (yes, they have their own photographer :) and my friend Meredith of Photography by Meredith needed a last minute replacement when her assistant bailed on her... so she offered me the once in a lifetime opportunity to see what it is like to take those beautiful Anne Geddes-like newborn baby pictures and oh my gosh was it cool!!!

Let me just say that I have a whole new respect for photographers who work with babies! I thought we gave Meredith a run for her money every time we asked her to capture both of our boys in the same picture, which has become increasingly challenging as they get older... but oh my goodness do they seem easy compared to newborns!!! When we arrived, it took about 45 minutes just to set up and get 10 day old (born at 35 weeks) Dominic and Olivia fed and ready for their shoot. But then came the fun part... naked babies! And boy oh boy were they small!!! I was instantly flooded with memories of when our journey began with the boys. On one hand it was almost impossible to remember them that small, but somehow the emotion of it all came rushing back. I couldn't, and still can't, believe that our boys started out so small. So to get the babies in those adorable little curled up sleeping baby positions, apparently you mold them like Play-doh until you get them just how you want them, then you hold them there until they fall asleep. Oh, and it had to be 250 degrees... we had heaters blowing directly on us the entire time to help keep those tiny naked babies warm and sleepy :) So Meredith would get them how she wanted, then I'd slip my hands in and hold them until I was able to pull away and she could snap a shot. At first I couldn't believe it was possible, that she could get even a single shot of an adorably snuggled up sleeping baby, much less both of them at the same time! But I can't even tell what an amazing feeling it was to have your hands on those babies when they gave in and fell asleep... they literally just melted in my hands and within a second I knew I could let go and Meredith could get that perfect picture!!!

Oh my gosh it was SO cool!!!! She took pictures for FOUR hours! Four hours in the sweltering heat, of crawling around on the floor, of manipulating eight squirmy arms and legs... I have never seen someone work so hard to capture that perfect memory. I now understand why people pay a thousand dollars for these pictures... they are worth every penny!!

Thank you Meredith for allowing me to help you create your magic, and thank you Colleen and Brandon for welcoming me into your home and letting me share one of your most intimate moments with your new family. Dominic and Olivia are unbelievably precious and I am so honored to have been able to be a part of these photographs, of these memories that you will have for the rest of your lives. Meredith edited just a few of the photos last night (there are millions more!) and gave me permission to share a few :) She is truly unbelievable!


Olivia

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed experiencing that through your eyes, Lissa. Meredith is the best !
    We're also enjoying this journey with Colleen's twins at Girly Glam 4 Me. Your boys are precious !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Judy! I've heard all about you and have seen all of yuor adorable things through Meredith's pictures!!! Too bad I don't have any girls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so beautifully and eloquently written!I wept as I read it. The babies are indeed precious miracles! Thank you for preserving the beauty of our precious babies. I must admit that as the great-great aunt I am extremely prejudiced.

    The babies may have only been physically present in our lives for several short days but they have been spiritually and emotionally present since Colleen and Brandon shared the news of their arrival with the family.

    They are such a precious miracle in our lives. We are blessed.

    Best regards,
    Aunt Joe

    ReplyDelete